Friday, November 13, 2009

Heading Back Home

I had my meeting with Dr. Reeder yesterday to review the results of my latest CT scan and so far the mass has not grown at all. Although we are hoping for it to grow because that means that I can qualify for one of the trial treatments, the fact that it is not growing and/or spreading rapidly is a good sign! Since it still has to grow another .2 cm I am going to be heading home next week and will wait another 6-8 weeks before they run another CT scan.
At this point we are shooting for the bone marrow transplant to take place sometime in mid to late Spring. Because of this, Dr. Reeder does not want me to start either the trial treatment or conventional chemotherapy too early because he doesn't want to push the duration of treatment over such a long time. So with any luck the mass will have grown by January and at that point I can start treatment and get ready to come back to Arizona for the transplant.
Thanks again to everyone for the support and I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah! That is good...relatively:) Happy for you that you are going home, right where you need to be...

Leimomi said...

Slowly but surely! We're thinking of you and happy you get to come home for a while. Hope to see you soon.

Geoff Bush said...

This Thursday as my family gathers about the table we will give thanks for having your spirit and courage as examples guiding all our lives. Bless you Alika, for sharing your journey. You teach by example how to be a better human being. Mahalo Nui Loa ... the Bush Bunch from Minnesota and beyond.

Lee Lee said...

Thinking of you Alika!
Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! As far as I know I'm in the donor registry, but it was years ago that I joined. Hope they still have me.
As always I am in awe of you.
Lee