Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mayo Clinic Day One

Just got home after a long day. My step-brother Kevin stopped by this morning with his 11 month old daughter Giulianna, it was great to see both of them! She is the cutest, funniest little rascal who speaks her own crazy language... 
After they left we headed off to the Mayo Clinic to meet with Dr. Reeder my new oncologist. The clinic itself is quite amazing with top of the line everything and a very helpful staff. They even have oversized golf carts that shuttle you from your car to the front door of the hospital and back. Although he had not had time to review all of my scans and slides Dr. Reeder was pretty familiar with my case and is prepared to start me on high dose chemotherapy this Friday August 2nd. Here is a brief description of everything that is going to be taking place over the next few months...
Unlike my first chemotherapy treatment this treatment will be much stronger and will be for five days in a row. I am however going to be able to come home each day after treatment so that I can rest in my own bed. After the 5th day of treatment I will have between 2-3 weeks to recover before they begin the next 5 day cycle of chemotherapy. If everything goes according to plan I will then have an autologous bone marrow transplant after the 2nd cycle of chemotherapy. Following the transplant I will have one last cycle of treatment and then will play the waiting game/ run through tests to make sure that my body accepts the bone marrow and that the cancer remains in remission! 

Here are some pics from the Mayo Clinic:
View of the Mayo Hospital lobby from the 4th floor...
Me and my mom in the waiting room...
My step-dad is a weirdo ;) and yes it is hot in AZ!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always have to love your Step-Dad because he doesn't have to be there.
I love you snookums,
Paka

Unknown said...

Hey Alika,
Sounds like you are in good hands over there in Arizona. Good luck with the first round and keep your spirits up. If you need a laugh give me a call. :)

Kris

Hamasaki Family said...

What up Alika,
Kris is right, it sounds like you're in the best place you can be right now. We're thinking of you lots! Just checked out the UW schedule...1st up is the ducks...grrrr....
Stay strong! Love ya!
Lex, Mas, and Caleb
ps- got some cute pics of you and Caleb...I'll email them over to you