Monday, September 8, 2008

Blood Transfusion and Fall Harvest


I went into Mayo yesterday for a blood transfusion to boost my red blood cell count which had fallen to a really low level after my last chemotherapy treatment. I was a little nervous about the whole thing since I was going to be having someone else's blood put into my body, but I was reassured that it had been double and triple checked by the lab and was perfectly safe. I have donated blood before but have never been the recipient and I now know for a fact that donating blood is an extremely important thing to do!!! The process was a pretty simple one, they basically just hooked up the bags of blood to my ash-split catheter and slowly dripped it into my body...
While I was having my transfusion they also ran labs to see where my white blood cell counts were at. I got the good news that the levels had finally bottomed out and were now on their way back up, this meant that my bone marrow harvest was going to be very soon! On Saturday the count was at 3.8 and on Sunday it had gone up to 8.5. In order for the harvest to take place my rates had to reach anything over 10 which the nurses felt would happen this morning. When we got the results in today, my numbers amazingly had jumped all the way to 76.5 and the so the harvest began!!! 

The harvest was a very easy process as well. My ash-split was this time hooked up to the large machine in the picture on the left. One tube of the ash-split allowed the blood to flow out of my body and into the machine where it was spun around and filtered. The stem-cells were then separated and placed into a bag while the red blood cells and platelets were returned to my body through the other tube in my ash-split. (They actually removed and replaced the equivalent of all of the blood in my body four times). It is the stem-cells that they want to keep because this is where the bone marrow that will later be put back into me during the transplant is located. According to the nurses that were helping me today, my harvest went extremely well. Attached to the machine there is a small chart with the different colors that the stem-cells can look like as they are filtered and put into the bag. If the coloring is too light or too dark they have to make adjustments to the machine and either speed it up or slow it down until it is corrected. Luckily my stem-cells came out perfect the entire four hours that I was hooked up to the machine and not one adjustment had to be made! 
As I was just finishing up this posting I received a phone call from my bone marrow transplant coordinator Chris and he informed me that during todays harvest they were able to get enough stem-cells for three transplants!  It normally takes about two to three days for them to collect enough for two transplants, which is their goal, and I was able to give them enough for three in one sitting!!! This means that I finally have a week long break before I have to return to the hospital, the first break in quite awhile!!! 

The picture below shows the blood being taken out of my body from the tube with the red clip and being returned through the tube with the blue clip...
This is a closer picture of the harvesting machine. It is a pretty amazing machine and whomever invented it was a real genius. It is able to run algorithms based on your body height and weight along with the labs results of your current blood counts and determine the exact rate at which it needs to filter your blood in order to get the stem-cells out in the best condition. You can also see my stem-cells filling the bag hanging on the right above the machine...

11 comments:

Agnes said...

Wowwweee! You had a pretty busy day but all in all it was just great news right after the other! I was so excited to hear that everything was happening just it is supposed to! I know you'll be home sooner than later and I can't wait!
I enjoy reading (and yea, re-reading) your blog. It makes me feel like you're talking to me. LOL!
Hope the next few days go extremely well too.
I miss you and love you lots Alika!
Kudos for being such a fighter -- AND doube; kudos for keeping that gorgeous smile on your face :)

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah dude excellent "MD MAHDAH is jumping up and down spinning round and round and saying omg' told you all that curry and Hanazen chicken helped - ok well giving you orange juice and vitamin water too - good thing we prepared your body. HOLY MOLY HOLY MOLY - Praise god and all those who pray with us and know you are an awesome awesome amazing dude. Can't wait for more updates - we appreciate all the pics etc. even the neat bag that holds all the good stuffs. You are our hero. Love you Aliks...

Anonymous said...

Alika,
I'm glad that everything went well today and that you'll get a break from the hospital. I'm set to give blood for the first time in my life next week Tuesday and while I'm a little nervous about it, reading your blog and seeing what kind of stuff it's used for and the need for it, it reminds me of how important it is to give. Keep your spirits up!

Love,
Kris

Anonymous said...

Hi Alika,

Your concert reminded me of old times in Seattle and all of the shows we'd go to!

I've been keeping up with your blog and sending prayers from your old home.

Thinking of you, and just wanted you to know that all of us here in Seattle know that you can get through this and will end up stronger than ever! We miss you and send our thoughts.

Love
Ange

Anonymous said...

Hey Alika,
Glad to hear your harvest was so bountiful! Enjoy your break from the hospital man...you deserve it. Emma and Leimomi send their love. Thanks for keeping us updated through your blog...we're all there with you.
Aloha,
Koa

Anonymous said...

Alika,
I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I read your blog religiously and look forward to your next entry.

You are truly a fighter, stay strong!!
Love,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Aloha Alika,
Thanks so much for the birthday call. The regular group of degenerates sat out on the deck yelling and laughing. We spent a bit of time talking about you - everyone sends their love and can't wait for you to come home. I'm typing this on my new I:phone - a b'day gift from U Bob. I'm pretty happy with my ability to type on this blasted thing - for some reason it decides to delete whole paragraphs all on it's own-must be a critique of my writing abilities!
I'm in Chicago on my way to Baltimore that means that John Dungate and U Bob are currently unsupervised - you know lots of wine will be consumed!
We miss you lots, think of you every day, and are so very proud of you! From your blog, it seems that things are
going better than expected, we're so relieved and grateful.
Maybe you'll make it home this year!

Lot's of love, Sherri

Anonymous said...

Hi Alika,
You know I was one of those degenerates sitting out on the deck! Love to read your blog and see how your doing. Miss seeing you on the deck. I will check in again later. Say "hi" to Mom and Dad.
Aloha,
Reine

Anonymous said...

Hi ALIKA! Its Camille and Liz just stopping by to leave you a little message.

WOW! You amaze me ALIKA! Just wanted to encourage you and say that everyone here at Maui Divers is cheering you on! Gosh you have a whole load of people here that just can't take you off of their mind. You have the biggest fans here and I'm so happy to be apart of it as well. Well my encouragement to you is to keep going! God will never leave a prayer unheard of nor voided. I always remember that movie "Bruce Almighty", can you imagine how many e-mails God must be getting from all of us? I mean, we be leaving him messages after messages everyday.

You’re entries are remarkable. Thank God for praying family and friend’s right!

Liz said... "Alika I pray for you every night, please remember that we're all thinking and praying for you!" –Liz

Wishing you many blessings to come!
-Camille & Liz

Anonymous said...

Hi Alika,

Remember me? I found out about this blog from Lei and just wanted to tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers. You have so much strength and such a great attitude. You are such an inspiration! Keep up your positive attitude!

Sending much love...

Lori Anne Shiu

Hamasaki Family said...

What's up Alika! I hope you are off enjoying your time away from the hospital as we write this. You absolutely deserve it...we're so amazed that you were able to harvest so many stem cells!! That just shows how strong you are and what a fighter you are. You will beat this! We're so proud of you and we are with you every step!
Kris said she is giving blood for the first time and I am inspired to do the same. I never wanted to because I'm such a wuss and hate needles but after reading this, I can see how very important it is. And if you can do this with a smile on your face, I can surely handle a little needle!!
Love ya and miss ya,
Lex and Mas