Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Diamondbacks game and New Dates


I have another busy week here going between the Mayo Hospital in Phoenix and the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale everyday for tests and meetings before I am able to get cleared to go in for my transplant. I met with Chris my bone marrow transplant coordinator again yesterday and he let me know how surprised everyone truly was to find out my harvest numbers from last week. Apparently giving enough for three transplants in one sitting is an amazing feat, not that I did much besides just sit there, I guess I am just lucky! A good thing since I am sure it costs a lot of money each time I am hooked up to that machine...
According to Chris the results from my PET scan that I have this Friday are the most important indicator of when I will be admitted into the hospital for the transplant. If the scan shows active cancer cells I will have to go through another round of ESHAP chemotherapy but if it shows that the cancer is no longer active I will be admitted into the hospital on Sept. 25th. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the results will show the cancer no longer active so that I can get this transplant started and over with!!! 
If I am admitted into the hospital next week, I will spend the first day receiving fluids and medications in order to get me ready for the BEAM chemotherapy which will begin the following day and last for about 5 days if I remember correctly. BEAM is a lethal dose of chemotherapy that will destroy not only the cancer but also everything in my body (red/ white blood cells, immune system, etc...). After the chemotherapy my stem cells will then be reintroduced to my body in order to rebuild everything that they have killed off. But for the next few months I will have the immune system equivalent to that of a newborn so making sure that I don't get any infections will be critical. In fact, I will have to have all of the immunization shots that I was given as a child all over again because the BEAM will destroy those as well...
I am not really looking forward to going through the BEAM chemotherapy and the long stay in the hospital but I know that the end result will be worth the sickness and fight that I am going to have to endure for the next few weeks/ months. 








On a lighter note I was able to attend the Diamondbacks v. Reds game on Saturday night. Here is a picture from the nosebleed seats that we had. That little black spec on the mound is Randy Johnson. Thanks Bryn and Tahnie, fun times!






I am also very bummed that I will be missing the wedding of two of my best friends Ryan and Jenn this Saturday at Waialae Country Club. I want to wish you both the best of luck and I will be home soon enough, so be ready to celebrate again with me there!!! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude we will just know you are ready to receive only good in your body! Alicia and I have prayed and see the healing lights so we know you will be healed and done in a jiffy! Also the taffy is now gone LOL! We love you very much!

bryn rathvon said...

We did have fun, didn't we? I'm glad you and Tahnie are finally feeling better :)

Agnes said...

`Leeks! You will do just greeat. I'm praying for you and thinking of you often :) Miss you and love you lots.

jerry said...

Miss ya homey. Thanks for the updates. You are such a strong, positive influence and we are always thinking and praying for you. You will beat this!