Monday, November 3, 2008

Day +11 Update

Today is November 3rd which is considered day +11 meaning it is the 11th day from the transplant. Things have been going okay but the last week has been pretty rough. First I got nauseous and sick for a few days so they had me on a strict regimen of anti-nausea medication which caused me to become very drowsy. I then developed a bad rash all over my body that didn't bother me but didn't look great either. And finally I got a sore throat that has been so bad that I have not been able to eat or drink anything for the last few days (I have lost 19 lbs in the last 9 days). In fact they have me on a morphine drip pump that gives me a constant flow of morphine but also allows me to push a button every 8 minutes and get an extra burst just to try and fight some of the pain. So suffice to say, between the anti-nausea medication and the morphine I have been pretty stoned over these last few days.

Dr. Reeder was on rounds this morning and stopped to check on me and let me know how my progress was going. According to my lab results I may be able to leave the hospital as early as this Wednesday! I cannot wait to get out of here and breathe some non-circulated air!












Stoned!














My sister Malia flew down for the weekend!




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alkia ... I can't wait to show your recent blog to my kids and everyone who comes by. Wow! Jason says everytime he opens the front page he wants to go grab his Gerry Lopez and head to the airport. I'll bet you feel the same. The payoff for all your courage and discipline will be your opportunity to do just that ...taste the salt! Thanks so much for going the extra mile to keep everyone posted. You are an amazing man. BTW ... your uplifting news arrived on the sunny 75 degree gusts from the West for which I give you credit. All of the midwest thanks you. Tomorrow we get to vote for Obama. Nice news all around.
Much aloha ...Geoff Bush & Family

Anonymous said...

Alika,
Glad to hear that you might be able to be out of the hospital on Wednesday! Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Youre doing great Alika. So proud of you! We are working on trying to visit you, Im waiting for my work schedule.
Chelsea and Aaron

Agnes said...

I'm so glad to hear that you might be able to go home already! I know how ancy you probably are feeling being couped up. GOOD FOR YOU! Still hoping I get to see you sooner rather than later. I miss you tons and cant wait for you to get back here!!! I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Heard the positive news on your counts and am so, so happy for you. Keep going, stay strong. We love you.

Unknown said...

you have got to stop posting hideous pics of me! ugh! i can't handle it!! love you tons and miss you already!
xoxo.
m

Anonymous said...

Hey Alika,
Just dropping by to say that we're still cheering for you here at Maui Divers. Everyone misses you so much and is continuing to pray for you and your family daily. Stay Strong and Keep Fighting!
God Bless,
Camille L.

Tahnie said...

You're a rockstar!

Anonymous said...

Hey Alika,
Just wanted to drop in and say wassup. Glad to hear you starting to exercise. Dont worry about the weight...focus on form my friend. I know everyday you're getting stronger and one day closer to being back home with the gang. Everyone misses you and we all behind you full force. Keep getting stronger and we'll see you soon.
Koa, Lei, and Emma