Thursday, November 13, 2008

Radiation

I just returned from my meeting with Dr. Shild who is going to be my radiation oncologist. Because of the recurrence of the mass in the past and the size that is was they are going to go ahead and give me some radiation. How much is going to be determined by a PET scan that I will have sometime in the next few weeks. If the scan comes back "cold" meaning that the cancer is no longer present I will have a lower dose of radiation that will be for about 2 weeks. If it comes back "hot" meaning that the cancer is still present I will have a much higher dose that will be for about 4 weeks. Once the results come back it will be up to my platelet counts as to when they will start. If they are high enough they are going to be starting as soon as possible, if they are still low it could be another 30 days before they even get started. If this is the case I could be here in AZ until February. 

I wanted to let everyone know that just because I am missing home a lot as mentioned in my previous blog, in no way does this mean that I am going to give up! I am just ready to get this thing over with and get my life back on track!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent summation dude and i love what lei said in the previous blog. What is so great about you is your determination because that is what is gonna get you through everything. You already know we miss and love you very much and only wish we could be with you or you with us to keep laughing or even crying - life is a gift and in many many ways we have at one time or another had a second chance at it. It is what we do with the second chance. As you can see, you are a gift to each of us in different ways. We are your big power ball that is behind you and to let you know we support you through every issue, every thing you are going through. Thank you for continuing to share your thoughts, your feelings and your journey. Let us thank the lord who is watching over you and may you continue to have tons of blessings! We think of you each and every day and as lori puts it, we are just like blog addicts hahaha...

Unknown said...

Alika,
I am clueless as to how you are handling all of this, and again I just don't know what to say .. except that you are extraordinary. What I went through with my cancer seems like nothing whenever I read your blog. Now I know why an old friend and Oncologist I consulted @ John Hopkins compared mine to a appendectomy in the world of cancers. I was kind of insulted at the time, but she was right. Now, I have some understanding of what a real battle is, because of you. Your blog is so real and honest and compelling.
My heart races and I freak out a little before I sign on to see how you are, even though I know you are going to reassure us all that the prognosis is good and you are fighting this with all you have. Inevitably I can't hold back the tears because you are so brave and strong and mentoring us all. I wish I could be more like you.
I wish everyone could be more like you.
Hawaii can't wait to have you back ... what a special day that will be!!!!!
Love LeeLee
P.S. Give Malia a big kiss for me the next time she visits.