Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Minor Setback

After going through the first four days of what was supposed to be the last round of ESHAP I ran into a minor brick wall. Friday was supposed to be the quickest day as far as the length of treatment but when I woke up that morning my face was swollen and my chest was feeling tight. I brought up my symptoms to the nurse as soon as I got to the Mayo Clinic and as a precaution she decided to weigh me to see if I was retaining fluid. Turns out I had gained almost 15lbs of fluid since the chemotherapy started. So my last day of treatment was cancelled and I was sent to get an x-ray which did show fluid in my lung cavity once again. Below is information from cancerbackup.org explaining a pleural effusion.
What is a pleural effusion?: The lungs are covered by a membrane or lining, called the pleura, which has an inner layer and an outer layer. The inner layer covers the lungs. The outer layer lines the rib cage and diaphragm, which is a sheet of muscle which separates the chest from the abdomen. The pleura produces a fluid which acts as a lubricant that helps you to breathe easily, allowing the lungs to move in and out smoothly. Sometimes too much of this fluid can build up between the two layers of the pleura: this is called a pleura effusion.
Causes: Pleural effusions are quite common and are often due to infections such as pneumonia, or heart failure, when the heart is not pumping the blood efficiently around the body. A pleural effusion can also be a symptom of several types of cancer. A pleural effusion usually develops if cancer cells have spread into the membrane lining the lungs, where they can lead to irritation and cause fluid to build up.

At this point I am awaiting a CT scan on Monday to see what the next step is going to be. If there is still a significant amount of fluid my doctor will drain the area in order to relieve some of the pressure. This is done by placing a small tube in between my ribs in my back and allowing the fluid to flow out into jars. Dr. Reeder will then have to determine whether or not I am going to go ahead and complete the last day of treatment or start an entirely new type of chemotherapy. I am hoping that I just have to do the last day as I am already feeling ill and don't want another weeks worth of chemicals pumped into my body! I will be sure to update my blog tomorrow as soon as I hear any news...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude - we love you and your amazing - sweetie very minor set back - after all this i vote you the most amazing person in the whole world and wow just your knowledge of all that is going on -you will to teach me how to research everything so i can understand what my bro is going thru right now - shall i just call you Dr. House lol... WE are here always and this week will send you YOUR BIG HUGE HUMANGOUS SURPRISE! You will love it, no it is not a tall, beautiful model, NO it is not the excess work from scott's desk..we could send you some sand from waimanalo beach - i won't even wash it hahaha... Hurry back - we have our ee mtg and everyone went to vegas - we need a leader...

Anonymous said...

Aaron and I just read about your setback-it is part of the territory, it sucks but you and all of your friends and family know you are strong enough to put this cancer back in it's place. Keep up your hope, we pray for your continued strength. You are not alone, we think about you all the time. Please let us know if you need anything, ok? We definately have plenty of rain up here in case you miss it:)
Love Aaron & Chelsea

Anonymous said...

Hey Alika,

Hang in there. I'm sending your all my good luck MOJO.

Love,
Your Korean Sister - Jane

Unknown said...

Stay strong tomorrow. I love you with all of my heart.

Agnes said...

hey buddy. i just read about your MINOR setback...im still praying for you and always thinking of you. keep strong -- i love you. i'm putting something in the mail for you tomorrow...hope it makes you smile. have a greeeeeat week!

Anonymous said...

Hey Alika,
I know this setback sucks but I also know that you are stong enough to beat any setback this cancer tries to throw you. Stay strong and positive and remember that we are all here for you and wishing the best for you every step of the way.

Love,
Kris

jerry said...

Braddah Alika.....hang in there. We are all praying for you and know this set back is just one little extra bump that you will get through in your road to recovery. Your resilience and strength is an inspiration to all and we know it will all work out. Take care...
Jerry